AU Major Insists All Civilians Actually Killed By 'Extremists'
The repeated indiscriminate shelling of civilian neighborhoods has been a long-standing issue for AU troops, and one the reports warn that commanders on the ground aren’t seriously trying to change.
Attention has grown to the problem, however, since this month’s insurgent attacks in the Ugandan capital of Kampala. Al-Shabaab, the group responsible, says the attacks were revenge for the civilian killings by the AU troops.
The AMISOM spokesmen have issued a number of conflicting claims about the attacks, usually claiming that any neighborhood not under the control of the AU backed government is a legitimate military target (one which encompasses over 95% of Somalia’s population), and at other times denying that the attacks occurred at all. Today was a case of the later, as an AU major insisted that all the civilians killed in recent shelling of al-Shabaab controlled neighborhoods were actually killed by al-Shabaab itself. Why they would imagine the group would shell its own neighborhoods, particularly when every human rights group on the ground insists the attacks came from the AU troops, is never explained.
The fact that the African Union is at least acknowledging the issue privately is somewhat encouraging, though it remains to be seen if there is any political will to stop the killing of innocent Somalis.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Ukraine Grants ‘Special Status’ for East to End War - September 16th, 2014
- Free Syrian Army Won't Join US Anti-ISIS Coalition - September 16th, 2014
- Pentagon Admits: US Advisers May Fight Alongside Iraqi Troops - September 16th, 2014
- Iraqi Shi'ite Cleric Sadr Warns US Soldiers Could Be Targeted if They Return - September 15th, 2014
- US Arms Makers See Rising Demand for Anti-Aircraft Missiles - September 15th, 2014