Top Congressmen today unveiled a broad new collection of sanctions which they intend to impose against Iran, with officials saying the measures could be approved and imposed as soon as this week.
The sanctions would cover not only Iranian companies, but would threaten massive sanctions against overseas busiensses doing business with Iran. It would also expand the US embargo on Iranian goods and encourage state and local governments to divest from foreign businesses that invest in Iran’s energy sector.
The newest sanctions come less than a week after the US Treasury Department announced new unilateral sanctions of its own against Iran, which was itself just a week after the US managed to push UN Security Council sanctions forward against Iran.
Despite the large number of new sanctions against Iran coming in no small part at the behest of Israeli officials, Israeli Defense Minister Ehud Barak today warned the US that they must place a “time limit” on the sanctions, after which they would take some broader, presumably military, action against Iran. Israel has repeatedly threatened to attack Iran itself, though officials have suggested that they would much prefer having the United States attack them instead.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Gaza Ceasefire Largely Holding After Weekend Flareup - July 15th, 2018
- US Officials Say Trainer Policies May Change After Afghan Insider Attack - July 15th, 2018
- Israel Attacks Airbase Outside Northern Syrian City of Aleppo - July 15th, 2018
- Trump Lowers Expectations for Russia Summit - July 15th, 2018
- Afghan Civilian Deaths Hit Record High, Says UN - July 15th, 2018