At least 10 Pakistani soldiers were killed today and some 40 others, described as either “militants” or “miscreants” by Pakistani sources were also slain in a series of clashes in Bajaur Agency.
Pakistani troops have reportedly cordoned off the area, and say they have destroyed a pair of “Taliban hideouts” in the region. Dozens of suspects were also reportedly arrested.
Locals say that the Tehreek-e Taliban Pakistan (TTP) auxilliery has become more active in the area recently, handing out pamphlets and putting up posters warning people not to accept government jobs.
Pakistan’s government has been issuing a number of warnings in the region as well, demanding that several suspected militants take jobs at the police force or risk having their homes demolished.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syrian Rebels Began Evacuating Golan for North - July 20th, 2018
- Syrian, Russian Warplanes Kill 26 Civilians in Strikes on Southern ISIS Towns - July 20th, 2018
- US Urges Strict UN Sanctions on North Korea Until Denuclearization Finished - July 20th, 2018
- Merkel: Europe Can't Rely on US to Impose World Order - July 20th, 2018
- Israel, Hamas Reach Another Ceasefire After Five Killed in Friday Clashes - July 20th, 2018