For a region in which the Pakistani military only a week ago declared “victory,” there is a surprisingly large amount of violence in the Orakzai Agency, where well over 100 people have been slain in the past week.
The latest clash involved militant forces from one of the various Taliban factions attacking a military checkpoint, killing at least six soldiers and leaving another eight wounded.
The Pakistani military responded by shelling the area they believed the militants came from and said that at least 35 fighters were slain.
The Pakistani military’s shellings in the region have killed over 1,000 “suspects” since the beginning of the offensive, but with no journalists on the ground independent verifications of who is exactly being killed and in what numbers remains impossible.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- South Korea Turns Off Loudspeakers Aimed at North Korea - April 23rd, 2018
- Saudi Warplanes Attack Wedding Party in NW Yemen, Killing Dozens - April 23rd, 2018
- Senate Panel OKs Pompeo After Rand Paul Flip - April 23rd, 2018
- Iraq Says 36 ISIS Killed in Thursday's Syria Strike - April 22nd, 2018
- Trump Denies Making Too Many Concessions to North Korea - April 22nd, 2018