According to Iranian nuclear negotiator Saeed Jalili, the Iranian government will host a two-day conference later this month encouraging global nuclear disarmament and increased access to civilian nuclear energy.
The conference, entitled “Nuclear Energy for All, Nuclear Weapons for No One,” will take place on April 17, just after a Washington conference on nuclear security that is expected to include pressure for more sanctions against Iran for their civilian nuclear energy program.
Reports from the Iranian government say that 60 plus nations have been invited, and Jalili said that the Chinese have already agreed to attend, though the Chinese government has yet to confirm this.
Only last week Jalili was in China on a visit, as the United States continues to pressure China to back sanctions against Iran. Though the US has repeatedly claimed China will eventually support the sanctions, the Chinese Foreign Ministry maintains that it supports a diplomatic solution to the dispute, and intends to oppose the sanctions.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Saudi Coalition to Open Humanitarian Corridors Out of Yemen's Hodeidah Port - September 24th, 2018
- Trump Expects Announcement of Second Summit With North Korea 'Pretty Soon' - September 24th, 2018
- US Troops Will Remain in Syria, Officials Say - September 24th, 2018
- Bolton Slams Russia, Says S-300 Sale in Syria Is 'Significant Escalation' - September 24th, 2018
- Russia Will Provide S-300 Air Defense to Syria - September 24th, 2018