According to Iranian nuclear negotiator Saeed Jalili, the Iranian government will host a two-day conference later this month encouraging global nuclear disarmament and increased access to civilian nuclear energy.
The conference, entitled “Nuclear Energy for All, Nuclear Weapons for No One,” will take place on April 17, just after a Washington conference on nuclear security that is expected to include pressure for more sanctions against Iran for their civilian nuclear energy program.
Reports from the Iranian government say that 60 plus nations have been invited, and Jalili said that the Chinese have already agreed to attend, though the Chinese government has yet to confirm this.
Only last week Jalili was in China on a visit, as the United States continues to pressure China to back sanctions against Iran. Though the US has repeatedly claimed China will eventually support the sanctions, the Chinese Foreign Ministry maintains that it supports a diplomatic solution to the dispute, and intends to oppose the sanctions.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Netanyahu: The Bible Proves Jerusalem Is Israel's Capital - December 11th, 2017
- ISIS Is Gone, But Iraq's Main Refinery Remains in Ruins - December 11th, 2017
- US-Backed Syrian Kurds, Iraqi Army Coordinate at Border - December 11th, 2017
- Iran FM Urges Europe to Preserve Nuclear Deal - December 11th, 2017
- Key Iraqi Shi'ite Cleric Urges Fighters to Disarm - December 11th, 2017