This was the message Joint Chiefs of Staff chairman Admiral Michael Mullen had for US soldiers at Fort Campbell, Kentucky, from which two combat brigades will be sent to Afghanistan as part of President Obama’s latest escalation.
When President Obama sent 21,000 additional troops in his March escalation, violence in Afghanistan only continued to worsen, and Mullen and other top military officials are predicting that the death toll in 2010 will be even higher, in no small measure as a result of the new escalation.
Though the White House has presented the current surge as a can’t miss strategy that will yield such overwhelming results that they can begin a pullout by July 2011, it seems that officials remain aware the grim realities of an ever worsening war. Not so aware that they would actually end the war in a timely fashion, of course, but aware all the same.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Most of the Missing Nigerian Girls Found After Boko Haram Attack - February 21st, 2018
- Iraqi Ambassador Slams Turkish 'Invaders' on Iraqi Soil - February 21st, 2018
- Trump Plan Seeks Major Boost to Already Record Arms Sales - February 21st, 2018
- Syria Sends More Fighters to Afrin in High-Stakes Standoff With Turkey - February 21st, 2018
- Saudi Airstrike Kills 15 Civilians in Northern Yemen - February 21st, 2018