Last Updated 11/19 6:19 PM EST
As the Pakistani military continues to laud the success of its military operation against South Waziristan, the major city of Peshawar continues to bear the brunt of retaliatory attacks from the militants.
Police say they stopped the bomber in front of the gate when he detonated his explosives, and that the death toll could have been much worse if he had gotten inside the crowded courthouse.
Peshawar has been hit hard by the assorted wars of the past several years, with a virtually permanent tent city housing millions of internally displaced persons set up on its outskirts. The city is also on the Khyber Pass, through which much of NATO’s supplies for the Afghan War pass, and that has made it a target as well.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Report: Saudis Dismembered Journalist While He Was Still Alive, Audio Recording Shows - October 17th, 2018
- Israeli Ambassador to France Slammed for Attempt to Censor News - October 16th, 2018
- Suspects in Journalist's Disappearance Linked to Saudi Crown Prince - October 16th, 2018
- Erdogan: Turkey to Expand Military Operations Against Syrian Kurds - October 16th, 2018
- Koreas Agree to Reconnect Rail, Road Links - October 16th, 2018