Last Updated 11/19 6:19 PM EST
As the Pakistani military continues to laud the success of its military operation against South Waziristan, the major city of Peshawar continues to bear the brunt of retaliatory attacks from the militants.
Police say they stopped the bomber in front of the gate when he detonated his explosives, and that the death toll could have been much worse if he had gotten inside the crowded courthouse.
Peshawar has been hit hard by the assorted wars of the past several years, with a virtually permanent tent city housing millions of internally displaced persons set up on its outskirts. The city is also on the Khyber Pass, through which much of NATO’s supplies for the Afghan War pass, and that has made it a target as well.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- White House Assembling a Team for Upcoming North Korea Summit - March 16th, 2018
- US Shifts Toward Harsher Stance on Russia With Sanctions and Condemnation - March 16th, 2018
- Putin Furious After Britain Says He Ordered Attack - March 16th, 2018
- Cluster Bombs Reportedly Dropped on Syria's Eastern Ghouta - March 16th, 2018
- Turkey Attacks Hospital in Syria's Afrin, Killing Nine - March 16th, 2018