An attacker entered a Sunni mosque in Tal Afar today, shot the imam and opened fire on the congregation before finally detonating an explosive charge. At least 15 were killed in the attack and at least 80 were wounded.
The imam, Sheikh Abdulsattar Hussein Alou, was also a local court judge and reportedly an outspoken critic of the insurgency. It is therefore believed, though a Sunni mosque was attacked, that the attacker was a Sunni insurgent linked with al-Qaeda.
Today’s attack was the latest in a string of attacks in and around the northern city of Mosul (Tal Afar is just north of Mosul). The regional violence has been principally driven by ethnic tension between Kurds and Arabs but as today’s attack demonstrates is not exclusive to that conflict.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Trump Officials Trying to Finalize Legal Language to Expand Gitmo's Use - August 20th, 2017
- White House Continues to Talk Up 'Preventative War' Against North Korea - August 20th, 2017
- Trump Elevates US Cyber Command to a Formal Military Command - August 20th, 2017
- Abbas: After 20 Meetings I Still Don't Understand Trump's Peace Plan - August 20th, 2017
- Lebanon's Army Advances Deep Into ISIS-Held Border Territory - August 20th, 2017