It is being reported today that an unnamed US soldier and three Afghan soldiers were ambushed and captured Tuesday by the Taliban in Afghanistan’s restive Paktika Province. The military confirmed that the soldier was missing and believed captured.
A Taliban commander, speaking over a satellite phone so as not to reveal his location, claimed that the soldier was captured in the Yusuf Khil district and was drunk at the time. US officials denied the reports, claiming the Taliban were known liars.
Reports now have the soldier in the custody of Pashtun warlord Sirajuddin Haqqani, a militant active in both Paktika Province and Pakistan’s North Waziristan Agency, and son of Julaluddin Haqqani, a hugely influential militant leader in Waziristan. The Haqqanis have been a popular target of US drone strikes in North Waziristan, which borders the province where the soldier was captured.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Trump Declares EU a 'Foe,' Alongside Russia and China - July 15th, 2018
- Iran Says Will Leave Iraq, Syria Only If Those Countries Want Them To - July 13th, 2018
- Afghan Forces Kill Over 100 Taliban in Southeast Offensive - July 13th, 2018
- Afghan Forces Kill Civilians in Eastern Air Operations - July 13th, 2018
- US Airstrike Kills at Least 28 Civilians in Eastern Syria - July 13th, 2018