Speaking today in Algeria, Iranian Parliament Speaker Ali Larijani urged Western nations to respect his nation’s “democratic life,” adding that Iran’s democracy was closely linked to its religious culture. Larijani added that “Iran is not Iraq or Afghanistan.”
Larijani has taken a very guarded position since his nation’s disputed election. He pushed through a resolution the day after the vote congratulating President Ahmadinejad on his victory, but then boycotted Ahmadinejad’s victory celebration.
He has however repeatedly criticized the US and Britain for their responses to the post-election unrest, and has in particular urged the US to avoid interference in other countries’ affairs. The US has repeatedly condemned the Iranian government for its response to the protests.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- UN 'Horrified' by Libya Slave Auctions - November 20th, 2017
- Israeli Energy Minister Confirms Covert Ties With Saudi Govt - November 20th, 2017
- US Sanctions European Companies Over Iran 'Counterfeiting Scheme' - November 20th, 2017
- US Airstrikes Target Taliban Opium Labs - November 20th, 2017
- Trump to Declare North Korea a State Sponsor of Terrorism - November 20th, 2017