Speaking today in Algeria, Iranian Parliament Speaker Ali Larijani urged Western nations to respect his nation’s “democratic life,” adding that Iran’s democracy was closely linked to its religious culture. Larijani added that “Iran is not Iraq or Afghanistan.”
Larijani has taken a very guarded position since his nation’s disputed election. He pushed through a resolution the day after the vote congratulating President Ahmadinejad on his victory, but then boycotted Ahmadinejad’s victory celebration.
He has however repeatedly criticized the US and Britain for their responses to the post-election unrest, and has in particular urged the US to avoid interference in other countries’ affairs. The US has repeatedly condemned the Iranian government for its response to the protests.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Pentagon Hypes Taliban Body Counts to Try to Sell White House on Afghan War - September 20th, 2018
- South Yemen Separatists Vow to Continue Offensive Against Hodeidah Port - September 20th, 2018
- Kim, Moon End Inter-Korean Summit at Peak of Sacred North Korea Volcano - September 20th, 2018
- Kim Seeks Second Trump Summit to Speed Denuclearization - September 20th, 2018
- US Seeks to Negotiate a Broad Treaty With Iran - September 19th, 2018