Speaking today in Algeria, Iranian Parliament Speaker Ali Larijani urged Western nations to respect his nation’s “democratic life,” adding that Iran’s democracy was closely linked to its religious culture. Larijani added that “Iran is not Iraq or Afghanistan.”
Larijani has taken a very guarded position since his nation’s disputed election. He pushed through a resolution the day after the vote congratulating President Ahmadinejad on his victory, but then boycotted Ahmadinejad’s victory celebration.
He has however repeatedly criticized the US and Britain for their responses to the post-election unrest, and has in particular urged the US to avoid interference in other countries’ affairs. The US has repeatedly condemned the Iranian government for its response to the protests.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Palestinians Slam Planned US Embassy Move to Jerusalem - February 23rd, 2018
- White House Orders Military Parade for Veterans Day - February 23rd, 2018
- Turkish Army Attacks Afrin Convoy, Kurds Say It Was Full of Aid - February 23rd, 2018
- Nigeria Sends More Troops to Look for Missing Girls - February 23rd, 2018
- Trump Vows 'Largest Ever' North Korea Sanctions, Threatens Ominous 'Phase Two' - February 23rd, 2018