As Obama Administration Escalates, Body Count Is Likely to Rise
As the Obama Administration looks to escalate the war in Afghanistan by doubling the number of American forces on the ground, Vice President Joe Biden concedes that Americans should expect a higher death toll this year than in years past.
“I hate to say it, but yes, I think there will be. There will be an uptick,” Biden insists. Yet the 2008 death toll was already 151 American soldiers, the most yet in the seven year long war, so any further increase from the Obama escalation is likely to be viewed as more than just “an uptick.”
Even before the Obama Administration’s “surge” was announced, Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Admiral Michael Mullen was predicting that the situation in Afghanistan would be even worse in 2009. With the Taliban’s growing influence across the nation the US forces are likely to face an uphill battle.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Officials: EU Considering Mending Ties With Assad - February 18th, 2015
- UN: Afghan Civilian Casualties Increased 22 Percent in 2014 - February 18th, 2015
- Pentagon: US Identified 1,200 Potential Syria Rebels for Training - February 18th, 2015
- White House: Israel Cherry-Picking Intel to Distort Iran Talks - February 18th, 2015
- Israel Expels 120, Seizes Private Palestinian Land for Landfill Site - February 18th, 2015