A US drone launched a series of missile strikes today in Pakistan’s South Waziristan Agency, killing eight and injuring an unknown number of others. The attacks hit two vehicles in separate villages in the area early in the morning. The first strike also destroyed a nearby house.
A third missile was also reportedly fired at another house in Dabkot, not far from the first vehicle’s location. The missile landed unexploded on the ground. Local Taliban reportedly cordoned off the scene of the first attack and pulled bodies from the rubble.
The United States has launched dozens of air strikes into North and South Waziristan over the past several months, over public objections from the Pakistani government. Pakistan’s military has made much recently of its growing ability to shoot down the drones responsble for the attacks, but reports indicated that the only anti-aircraft fire came from tribesmen.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Car Bombs Hit Mosque in Libya's Benghazi, Killing Dozens - January 23rd, 2018
- Turkey Arrests Scores for Opposing Invasion of Syria - January 23rd, 2018
- Turkey Claims to Have Killed 260 Fighters in Syria's Afrin District - January 23rd, 2018
- Pentagon-Funded Afghan Units Involved in Gross Human Rights Abuses - January 23rd, 2018
- US Claims to Kill 150 ISIS Fighters in East Syria Airstrike - January 23rd, 2018