Violence in Pakistan’s economic hub of Karachi continued for the second straight day, with 21 more killed, bringing the two day total to at least 30 killed and around 200 wounded in the city-wide violence.
Shops closed and police declared emergencies in the local hospitals amid various incidents, from stone-throwing to aerial firing across the city. The cause of the violence is unclear, but police point to armed protesters as having sparked the attacks. A security report blamed the violence on a pre-planned conspiracy set into action by “external forces” seeking to destabilize Pakistan.
Late last week it was revealed that Pakistani intelligence agencies were gathering evidence regarding a plot against Karachi originating in Balochistan. Whether the report is a coincidence or related to the current violence is unclear, however.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Palestinians Slam Planned US Embassy Move to Jerusalem - February 23rd, 2018
- White House Orders Military Parade for Veterans Day - February 23rd, 2018
- Turkish Army Attacks Afrin Convoy, Kurds Say It Was Full of Aid - February 23rd, 2018
- Nigeria Sends More Troops to Look for Missing Girls - February 23rd, 2018
- Trump Vows 'Largest Ever' North Korea Sanctions, Threatens Ominous 'Phase Two' - February 23rd, 2018