Yemen’s Houthis Shoot Down Second US MQ-9 Reaper Drone Within 72 Hours

The Trump administration claims its bombing campaign in Yemen has been 'incredibly successful' despite its failure to stop deter the Houthis

Yemeni air defenses shot down a US MQ-9 Reaper drone for the second time within 72 hours as the US’s daily bombing campaign has not deterred the Houthis or stopped their attacks.

Yemen’s SABA news agency reported that the US drone was shot down while it was flying over the Hodeidah province, which has been heavily bombed by the US in recent days. Jennifer Griffin, a reporter for Fox News, confirmed that the US MQ-9 was shot down in a post on X.

The Houthis said the incident marked the 17th US MQ-9 that Yemeni forces shot down since October 2023. Griffin said at least 13 of the drones were shot down in that time but cited a source who said the real number could be as high as 17.

Each MQ-9 Reaper drone costs the US about $30 million, which means if 17 have been shot down, the US has lost $480 million worth of drones.

A US MQ-9 Reaper drone

US airstrikes have continued to pound Yemen every day since the bombing campaign began on March 15. Overnight, 36 US strikes were reported in the country.

The Trump administration has been claiming that its bombing campaign has been “incredibly successful” despite failing to stop the Houthis, who are officially known as Ansar Allah. The Houthis have been firing missiles at Israel and claiming attacks on US warships in the region, and they have repeatedly stated that the only way they will stop is if there’s a ceasefire in Gaza and an end to the Israeli blockade on the territory.

“The Yemeni Armed Forces affirm their continued efforts to confront all enemy attempts to undermine our country’s sovereignty. They, along with the great Yemeni people, will continue their operations in support of Gaza, and these operations will not stop until the aggression against Gaza stops and the siege is lifted,” the Yemeni military said in a statement on the downing of the MQ-9.

So far, there’s been no indication that any Houthi missiles or drones have struck US warships, but the Pentagon has shared virtually no details about the attacks or about strikes on Yemen.

“The US has been striking Houthi targets in Yemen for 20 straight days since the US military operation was launched on March 15. The Pentagon HAS NOT HELD A BRIEFING for journalists since March 17 and US Central Command has not been putting out press releases about the operation,” Griffin said in another post on X.

“When reporters request information from DOD and CENTCOM about the military operation in Yemen (even on background), we are told they cannot answer our questions, which is a break from the past,” Griffin added.

Author: Dave DeCamp

Dave DeCamp is the news editor of Antiwar.com, follow him on Twitter @decampdave.