According to the governor of Russia’s Belgorod Oblast, a Wednesday night attack in the region blamed on Ukraine killed one person and wounded seven others. The incident marks the first reported casualties due to Ukraine’s alleged cross-border attacks, which Ukrainian officials have not officially taken responsibility for.
Governor Vyacheslav Gladkov said Thursday that the village of Solokhi, which lies 12 miles from the border with Ukraine, came under Ukrainian shelling. “Seven wounded, another victim was brought late at night. Everyone is provided with qualified medical care, medicines are available in full. One person died. We will provide material assistance to all the victims and the family of the deceased,” he said.
Gladkov described the attack inside Russian territory as “the most severe to date” since Russia invaded Ukraine on February 24 and said an apartment building had been destroyed.
Ukraine has been accused of launching several attacks in the region. On April 27, a series of blasts were reported in three Russian provinces that border Ukraine, including a fire at an ammunition depot in Belgorod.
While Ukraine hasn’t taken responsibility for the attacks inside Russia, likely out of fear of provoking an escalation in the war, Ukrainian officials have hinted at their involvement. After the April 27 incidents, Ukrainian presidential advisor Mykhailo Podolyak said, “When you massively attack another country … then sooner or later the debts will have to be repaid.”