US Central Command (CENTCOM) announced on Tuesday that the process of withdrawing from Afghanistan is between 13 and 20 percent complete. The command is not disclosing troop numbers but said the Pentagon has removed approximately 115 C-17 cargo planeloads of material out of Afghanistan.
CENTCOM said more than 5,000 pieces of equipment have been turned over to the Defense Logistics Agency for destruction. The US has officially handed over five facilities to the Afghan military.
Last week, the US turned over Kandahar Airfield in southern Afghanistan to Afghan forces, which was one of the largest US bases in the country. At the height of the US presence in Afghanistan, the base housed an estimated 30,000 troops and contractors.
Before President Biden ordered the withdrawal, the US officially had 2,500 troops in the country, although some reports said the real number was closer to 3,500. While the withdrawal appears to be moving along, the US still wants to maintain influence in Afghanistan and plans to keep supporting the Afghan military financially.
US military officials also want to maintain the ability to bomb targets in Afghanistan. The Pentagon has been eyeing repositioning forces in neighboring countries, but the US has few basing agreements in the region and may have to settle for launching airstrikes out of bases in the Gulf.
Biden ordered all troops to be out by September 11th, although the US and the Taliban are reportedly in talks to get foreign troops out by early July.
2 thoughts on “CENTCOM: Afghanistan Withdrawal 13 to 20 Percent Complete”
“CENTCOM said more than 5,000 pieces of equipment have been turned over to the Defense Logistics Agency for destruction”___ Waste of Taxpayer money…!
“CENTCOM: Afghanistan Withdrawal 13 to 20 Percent Complete”___ Next month the margin widens, 13 to 27 Percent Complete, but the actual withdrawal remain unchanged…!
Comments are closed.