For the third time within one week, the US blocked a statement at the UN Security Council condemning Israeli violence against Palestinians and urging a ceasefire in Gaza. Israeli bombs have killed over 200 people since last Monday, including over 60 children.
The latest statement blocked by the US was introduced by Norway, Tunisia, and China after an emergency Security Council meeting on Sunday. According to a draft obtained by The Times of Israel, the statement expressed the Security Council’s “grave concern regarding the crisis related to Gaza and the loss of civilian lives and casualties, and called for de-escalation of the situation, cessation of violence and respect for international humanitarian law, including the protection of civilians, especially children.”
Despite the US’s unwillingness to pressure Israel, other countries still want to push for a ceasefire at the UN. The UN General Assembly is set to discuss the Gaza onslaught on Thursday morning.
Israel shows no sign of seeking a de-escalation and continues to pound Gaza with airstrikes. On Monday, Secretary of State Antony Blinken indicated that the US is not pressuring its ally to seek a ceasefire. He said the US is willing to support a diplomatic solution but said, “Ultimately, it is up to the parties to make clear that they want to pursue a ceasefire.”
Last week, Hamas proposed a ceasefire to Israel through the Russian foreign ministry. Israel rejected the truce offer and instead decided to escalate its bombing campaign in Gaza. Without US pressure, Israel has no reason to ease up.