US Commander Says Steps Taken for Withdrawal From Afghanistan

Says bases will be turned over to Afghan government

Gen. Scott Miller reports that the US has begun “local action” toward the removal of foreign troops from Afghanistan, saying that officially the retrograde of troops would start of May 1, but that some actions had already begun.

Though Miller provided no details on what they’re actually doing so far, he did say that the US would “gradually” hand over bases to the Afghan government. There is no timetable for that either, which is a reason for concern.

Overwhelmingly, the US drawdown happened in the second half of 2020, and while there was time to leave by May 1, the US ultimately punted on that date. September 11 is now nominally the goal date, but neither Miller nor anyone else is definitively stating when things will happen, or why they will happen now when they didn’t happen then.

There aren’t so many US troops left in Afghanistan that it should be difficult to meet these dates to leave. That said, the military has often found excuses to drag their feet on such matters, and the Biden Administration so far doesn’t appear eager to put its foot down and withdraw.

Author: Jason Ditz

Jason Ditz is news editor of Antiwar.com.