In the wake of a rocket attack on the US embassy in Iraq’s Green Zone in Baghdad, the US is reportedly considering quickly closing the facility.
Sources told Axios that the Trump administration is considering the move, along with several other options that could be preludes to further action against Iran. The US has blamed the attack on “Iran-backed” militias, and President Trump threatened Tehran in a tweet on Wednesday.
Trump wrote on Twitter: “Some friendly health advice to Iran: If one American is killed, I will hold Iran responsible. Think it over.”
Sources also told Reuters that top US officials agreed on a “range of options” to present to President Trump in the wake of the embassy attack.
For their part, Iran has denied responsibility for the attack. In recent weeks, Iran has urged its allies in Iraq to pursue caution and avoid provoking the US, hoping to avoid a military confrontation before Trump leaves office. But some Shia militias rejected Iran’s warning as they have their own reasons to attack US targets.
The US threatened to close its embassy in Baghdad earlier this year since the Iraqi government could not control frequent rocket attacks on the Green Zone. The threat to close the embassy came along with the threat of US airstrikes.
According to a report from Middle East Eye, in September, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo presented the Iraqi government with a list of 80 targets the US would strike if it went through with the embassy closure.