Yemen’s internationally recognized President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi rejected a peace proposal from UN Special Envoy for Yemen Martin Griffiths on Monday, according to sources speaking with Arab News.
Sources said the Hadi government would only agree to a deal within the framework of several international agreements, including UN Security Council Resolution 2216. The resolution was passed in April 2015 and says the Hadi government has authority over Yemen and calls for the Houthis to relinquish territory they control.
The details of Griffiths’ proposal are not clear, but a Hadi government official said the exiled president rejected two Houthi demands. According to the official, the Houthis are asking to maintain control of an oil pipeline that runs from the central city of Marib to the western port city of Hodeidah. The Houthis are also requesting that planes from Houthi-controlled airports are exempt from inspections.
Hadi fled Yemen in 2015 after being ousted by the Houthis. With full support from the US, Saudi Arabia and its allies intervened in March 2015 to reinstate the president. Since then, Hadi has lived in exile, and the coalition has waged a brutal war on Yemeni civilians.
Heavy fighting has erupted in recent weeks in Hodeidah, where the UN brokered a ceasefire in 2018 to facilitate aid shipments into the country. The US-backed Saudi-led coalition’s siege tactics and targeting of civilian infrastructure has resulted in what the UN calls the world’s worst humanitarian crisis.