Since June, dozens of mysterious explosions have hit Iranian infrastructure. More incidents occurred over the weekend, with blasts reported on both Saturday and Sunday. An explosion in an oil pipeline was reported on Saturday in the southern city of Ahvaz.
On Sunday, an explosion took place at a power plant in the central province of Isfahan. Iranian officials confirmed the blast and blamed it on faulty equipment, citing a “worn-out transformer” as the cause.”
Just hours after the incident in Isfahan, footage surfaced on social media of a factory fire in Tabriz, a city in Iran’s northwest. A local fire official told Iranian media that flammable liquids spilled inside the factory, which caused the fire.
Other fires and explosions took place this month at a shipyard where seven ships went ablaze, a factory in southern Iran where two people were killed, and at the Natanz nuclear facility. While Iranian officials are trying to downplay these incidents as accidents, Israel is believed to be behind at least some of them.
An unnamed Middle Eastern intelligence official told The New York Times that the July 2nd incident at the Natanz nuclear facility was caused by a bomb that was planted by Israel. Officials familiar with the matter told Business Insider that Israel was hoping to start a war with Iran before the US presidential election in November. A former Israeli official also said it was “common knowledge” that Israel was behind some of the attacks.
In 2010, the US and Israel carried out a major cyberattack, known as Stuxnet, on Iranian nuclear targets, including the Natanz facility, that damaged Iranian centrifuges. A recent report from Yahoo News revealed the Trump administration gave the CIA more power to conduct offensive cyber attacks in 2018. The report said that the CIA has launched cyberattacks in Iran since then, so it is possible the US is playing a role in these recent incidents.