Yemen’s Houthis Claim an Assault on Southern Saudi Arabia

Say Thousands of Troops Captured, Spokesman to Present Evidence Sunday

The Houthis of Yemen claimed they completed a successful assault near the southern region of Najran, Saudi Arabia on Saturday. The Houthi’s military spokesman said “three enemy military brigades have fallen” and that they captured thousands of troops and hundreds of armored vehicles.

The Houthis also claimed some senior Saudi officers were among those captured. No Saudi officials have yet confirmed the raid, but the Houthi spokesman said they will be presenting evidence of the captured troops and vehicles in a press conference on Sunday. The Houthis also say the captured troops will be taken to an undisclosed location to protect them from Saudi airstrikes.

The assault comes after Saudi Arabia announced they will be joining a “limited cease-fire” in Yemen. Last week, the Houthis offered a truce with the kingdom. The Saudis did not respond to the truce offer right away and continued airstrikes on the country that were responsible for some civilian deaths.

The Houthis took credit for the September 14th drone attack on Saudi oil facilities that crippled the kingdom’s oil output. Both the U.S. and Saudis blamed Iran for the attack, and the U.S. responded by sending a few hundred troops and some military equipment to Saudi Arabia.

Author: Dave DeCamp

Dave DeCamp is assistant editor at Antiwar.com and a freelance journalist based in Brooklyn NY, focusing on US foreign policy and wars. He is on Twitter at @decampdave.