Hezbollah Says Israel Clash Finished, Would Respond to New Attacks

Nasrallah says future attacks will be deeper into Israel

Sunday’s border clash between Israeli and Hezbollah forces appears to have been a one-off affair, with Hezbollah officials saying that this was the extent of their retaliation for last week’s Israeli drone attacks.

That said, Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah warned that any future Israeli attacks would be met with bigger retaliation, and that Hezbollah was prepared to strike much deeper into Israel.

Though Israeli officials have not said that they intend to launch further drone strikes in Lebanon, they have downplayed the Sunday clash as having caused no casualties, and Israeli hawks likely don’t feel particularly deterred.

On the other hand, Israeli drone attacks seem to be more centered on Iraq than Lebanon in recent weeks, and the Netanyahu government may seek to delay the confrontation with Lebanon for the sake of focusing on Iraq.

Author: Jason Ditz

Jason Ditz is news editor of Antiwar.com.