Iran Releases Video, Says It Proves Drone Wasn’t Shot Down

Trump says 'no doubt' Navy shot down that drone

US claims from Thursday that the USS Boxer shot down an Iranian drone in the Strait of Hormuz are facing growing doubts on Friday, as Iranian state media has released a video which shows what they say is the putative drone leaving the area unharmed.

Iran had already said that the claim of a drone having being shot down was false, and a top military spokesman confirmed that all of Iran’s drones were accounted for, and not destroyed.

Iran’s since-released video shows a surveillance drone flying around near the USS Boxer, tracking it through the Strait of Hormuz on Thursday. The drone follows the ship through the entire trip through the Strait, and returns to base without being attacked at all.

Iranian Foreign Ministry officials even jokingly suggested that the explanation for all of this could be that the USS Boxer had shot and destroyed its own ship-board drone by mistake.

The USS Boxer isn’t usually shipped out with drones at any rate, and US officials didn’t address this. President Trump, however, said he has “no doubt” that the Iranian drone was shot down, despite the video clearly showing it not shot down.

Author: Jason Ditz

Jason Ditz is senior editor of Antiwar.com.