In a Monday Tweet, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu thanked President Trump for declaring Iran’s Revolutionary Guard as a terrorist organization, saying that he had personally requested Trump’s move.
Netanyahu said that the move would keep the world safe from Iran, and would also serve the interests of Israel, saying he was glad Trump “acceeded to another one of my important requests.”
Netanyahu’s emphasis that this is all his idea, and Trump is giving him everything he wants, is clearly being done with an eye toward Tuesday’s election, as he attempts to convince voters that he is able to get concessions out of Trump no one else could.
This Tweet was only made in Hebrew, likely intending to avoid US officials believing it makes Trump look weak. Getting the far-right Netanyahu reelected is clearly something Trump is keen on, but its unlikely he’ll want to give the impression that US policy is being dictated from Jerusalem.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Ukraine's President-Elect Demands Sanctions Against Russia Over Passports - April 24th, 2019
- Kim Visits Russia to Meet Putin on Nuclear, Peace Process - April 24th, 2019
- Iran FM Calls for Prisoner Swap With US - April 24th, 2019
- Iran FM: Trump Aims for Talks, Bolton Wants Conflict - April 24th, 2019
- ISIS Battles Taliban for Control of Eastern Afghanistan Villages - April 24th, 2019