A flurry of Israeli artillery fire and a handful of missiles fired by drone hit Syria’s Quneitra Province on Monday, destroying an observation post and striking the site of an already demolished hospital.
Details on exactly what happened is unclear, and Israel is refusing all comment on the matter. Syrian state media said the strikes did material damage to the sites hit, but that there were no casualties reported.
Though Israel has been openly attacking Syria for months now, it is generally focused on the capital city of Damascus. Hitting Quneitra, close to the Golan Heights, largely stopped after the Israeli-armed rebels in that area were defeated.
This raises inevitable questions about what is happening all of a sudden in that area. So far, the Israeli military is declining comment, but in general there will be some excuse coming out of the defense ministry in fairly short order.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Envoy Elliott Abrams Heads to Colombia to Oversee Aid Delegation - February 22nd, 2019
- Officials Say Hundreds of ISIS Fled Syria Into Iraq in Past Six Months - February 22nd, 2019
- Abe Says Japan Will Ignore Okinawan Referendum on US Base - February 22nd, 2019
- Civilian Convoy Leaves Last ISIS Territory in Eastern Syria - February 22nd, 2019
- UN Watchdog Again Confirms Iran in Compliance With P5+1 Nuclear Deal - February 22nd, 2019