As President Trump continues to address the possibility of a Syria
pullout, other top administration officials tried to downplay that,
insisting that even with the 100% defeat of ISIS, the war against ISIS would rage on.
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo says that the commitment to destroying ISIS will continue “through our efforts and God’s help,” and urged countries concerned about the US to get more deeply involved in the war.
Vice President Mike Pence also undercut the withdrawal from Syria, insisting that US troops would remain in the region, and would continue to strike ISIS inside Syria and elsewhere around the Middle East.
This appears intended to placate hawks who are outspokenly opposed to withdrawing from Syria under any conditions, by arguing that the US is still for all intents and purposes going to be entangled in Syria, even if the troops aren’t physically there.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syrian President's Account Blocked on Instagram - April 23rd, 2019
- Libyan Forces Push Hafter's Troops Out of Tripoli - April 23rd, 2019
- UN Report: War Has Set Back Yemen More Than 20 Years - April 23rd, 2019
- Navy SEALs were warned by commanders not to report Iraq war crimes - April 23rd, 2019
- Iran's Parliament Labels Entire US Military as Terrorists - April 23rd, 2019