As President Trump continues to address the possibility of a Syria
pullout, other top administration officials tried to downplay that,
insisting that even with the 100% defeat of ISIS, the war against ISIS would rage on.
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo says that the commitment to destroying ISIS will continue “through our efforts and God’s help,” and urged countries concerned about the US to get more deeply involved in the war.
Vice President Mike Pence also undercut the withdrawal from Syria, insisting that US troops would remain in the region, and would continue to strike ISIS inside Syria and elsewhere around the Middle East.
This appears intended to placate hawks who are outspokenly opposed to withdrawing from Syria under any conditions, by arguing that the US is still for all intents and purposes going to be entangled in Syria, even if the troops aren’t physically there.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Envoy Elliott Abrams Heads to Colombia to Oversee Aid Delegation - February 22nd, 2019
- Officials Say Hundreds of ISIS Fled Syria Into Iraq in Past Six Months - February 22nd, 2019
- Abe Says Japan Will Ignore Okinawan Referendum on US Base - February 22nd, 2019
- Civilian Convoy Leaves Last ISIS Territory in Eastern Syria - February 22nd, 2019
- UN Watchdog Again Confirms Iran in Compliance With P5+1 Nuclear Deal - February 22nd, 2019