Russia’s Foreign Ministry has issued a statement on Friday calling on the United States to drop its latest missile defense system plans, which involves deploying interceptor systems into space. They warn the effort will fuel an arms race.
The statement warned that the plans give the impression that the US is trying to revive the scrapped Star Wars program from the 1980s. It also appears to be evidence the US plans to use space for military purposes in the near future.
Trump unveiled the new space-based missile defense a week ago, playing up the idea of making space a “warfighting domain,” and wanting a system that could intercept any missile anywhere on the planet at any time.
The comparisons to the Star Wars program are obvious, in that both are space-based, wildly ambitious, and almost certain to be prohibitively expensive. Russia seems to be hoping they can talk the US out of going down that path again.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Ukraine's President-Elect Demands Sanctions Against Russia Over Passports - April 24th, 2019
- Kim Visits Russia to Meet Putin on Nuclear, Peace Process - April 24th, 2019
- Iran FM Calls for Prisoner Swap With US - April 24th, 2019
- Iran FM: Trump Aims for Talks, Bolton Wants Conflict - April 24th, 2019
- ISIS Battles Taliban for Control of Eastern Afghanistan Villages - April 24th, 2019