After focusing last week on the US slowing down the Syrian withdrawal,
John Bolton’s comments over the weekend about the pullout being
conditional is adding questions. Many make it unclear if the pullout is
happening at all.
The White House seems determined not to really clarify the matter at all. On Monday, their new statement claimed that Trump’s position is “unchanged.” Since Trump has repeatedly scoffed at media reports trying to guess what his position on Syria actually boils down to, that’s not very enlightening.
To the extent they elaborated at all, they again emphasized that the process is slow and will “take time” to make sure that the troops are safe. There is no timetable, and it is expected to take several months.
With the Syrian Kurdish plans resting heavily on what happens with the pullout, they are pushing the matter with the US, asking for clarifications on the exact intentions of the US going forward, noting that the US has not informed them of any changes yet.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- New Zealand Police Censor Mosque Attack, Threaten to Jail Citizens Who Share Video - March 18th, 2019
- Iran Denies Turkish Claims of Joint Operations Against Kurds - March 18th, 2019
- Trump Proposes $86 Billion Spy Budget - March 18th, 2019
- South Korea DM: No Sign of Impending North Korea Missile Launch - March 18th, 2019
- Afghan Troops Frequently Robbed US-Funded Support Staff - March 18th, 2019