A heavily-redacted five page secret document
from the FBI revealed some details about the extremely opaque
establishment of a new “anti-leaking” unit established within the
Justice Department in 2017.
The unit was established because of the Trump Administration’s growing concerns about media leaks during their first year in office. The document was obtained by Young Turks in a FOIA request.
The document’s redactions are extreme, with one page of blacked out paragraphs saying only the words “the new Unit.” It offers very little in details, saying the unit was needed to manage the “national (redacted) threat” posted by the leaks.
While the past several administrations have struggled with embarrassing media leaks, this unit shows the Trump Administration as a lot more hostile toward the idea. This is unsurprising given President Trump’s general hostility toward critical media outlets, and the document couches the program as dealing with “media leak threats,” and talks up the idea of treating them as “violations of the espionage laws of the United States.”
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Announces New Sanctions Against Iran, Targeting Former Nuclear Scientists - March 22nd, 2019
- Trump's Golan Heights Move Broadly Condemned Worldwide - March 22nd, 2019
- White House Again Declares Victory Over ISIS, But Fighting Continues - March 22nd, 2019
- Pompeo: 'Possible' God Sent Trump to Be Savior of Israel - March 22nd, 2019
- UN Rights Council Accuses Israel of War Crimes in Gaza - March 22nd, 2019