Syrian state media is reporting that military positions south of the town of Sukhna are being hit by missiles fired by US and coalition forces from the al-Tanf base. The US has not yet confirmed the attack.
Exactly what is being targeted or why isn’t entirely clear. The Syrian media has so far reported that the strikes have only done material damage, and not inflicted any casualties.
It is not unusual for the US to use its Tanf base to pick fights with Syrian government forces in southern Syria. This would be the first time, however, that the US has used the base to fire missiles at military targets.
Such a attack is potentially dangerous, as it risks bringing the US into direct conflict with Russia, which is supporting the Syrian government. The US has been clear their position in Syria aims ultimately for regime change, but trying to get into direct military fighting to impose that would risk escalating the fight.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Expands Afghan Base to Accommodate Ongoing Surge - December 17th, 2018
- Taliban Meets US Officials in United Arab Emirates - December 17th, 2018
- US Accepts Assad Staying in Syria -- But Won't Give Aid - December 17th, 2018
- Turkish FM: US Working on Extraditing Gulen - December 17th, 2018
- Erdogan: Trump Expressed Support for Turkish Attack on Syrian Kurds - December 17th, 2018