South Korean President Moon Jae-in says that during a meeting with President Trump, Trump gave him a message to pass on to Kim Jong-un, saying Trump wants Kim to know that he likes him and intends to “fulfill Chairman Kim’s wishes.”
Trump has long said he and Kim are getting along very well, though they’ve only directly met once. Given the difficulties of US-North Korea diplomacy outside of this single summit, North Korea has expressed hope for a second direct meeting to try to get the process going again.
The part about fulfilling all of Kim’s wishes is something that President Trump has been very deliberate to not say in the past, however. In comments no the North Korea process in the US, he’s been very public about not giving North Korea anything until they totally capitulate and give in to all US demands.
It’s not clear why Trump would’ve given this message to Moon to make public, unless the assumption was that Moon was supposed to pass it on to the North Korean government and keep it away from the public. Trump is so far not discussing anything from the G20 summit.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Expands Afghan Base to Accommodate Ongoing Surge - December 17th, 2018
- Taliban Meets US Officials in United Arab Emirates - December 17th, 2018
- US Accepts Assad Staying in Syria -- But Won't Give Aid - December 17th, 2018
- Turkish FM: US Working on Extraditing Gulen - December 17th, 2018
- Erdogan: Trump Expressed Support for Turkish Attack on Syrian Kurds - December 17th, 2018