South Korean President Moon Jae-in says that during a meeting with President Trump, Trump gave him a message to pass on to Kim Jong-un, saying Trump wants Kim to know that he likes him and intends to “fulfill Chairman Kim’s wishes.”
Trump has long said he and Kim are getting along very well, though they’ve only directly met once. Given the difficulties of US-North Korea diplomacy outside of this single summit, North Korea has expressed hope for a second direct meeting to try to get the process going again.
The part about fulfilling all of Kim’s wishes is something that President Trump has been very deliberate to not say in the past, however. In comments no the North Korea process in the US, he’s been very public about not giving North Korea anything until they totally capitulate and give in to all US demands.
It’s not clear why Trump would’ve given this message to Moon to make public, unless the assumption was that Moon was supposed to pass it on to the North Korean government and keep it away from the public. Trump is so far not discussing anything from the G20 summit.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syrian President's Account Blocked on Instagram - April 23rd, 2019
- Libyan Forces Push Hafter's Troops Out of Tripoli - April 23rd, 2019
- UN Report: War Has Set Back Yemen More Than 20 Years - April 23rd, 2019
- Navy SEALs were warned by commanders not to report Iraq war crimes - April 23rd, 2019
- Iran's Parliament Labels Entire US Military as Terrorists - April 23rd, 2019