Fighting erupted in Afghanistan’s Herat Province on Thursday afternoon, when Taliban members loyal to Mullah Hibatullah Akhundzada clashed with another faction loyal to Mullah Rasool.
Fighting raged across the Shindand District, with clashes reported in several villages lasting for several hours. All told, 28 fighters were killed in the fighting between the two Taliban groups.
In addition to the Taliban fighters, a Major from the Afghan National Directorate of Security was killed in the course of operations that were trying to attack both of the Taliban factions at the same time.
While Taliban infighting is not as heavy as it once was, it does still erupt occasionally. Such fights tend to be particularly bloody, though it has been years since there has been a serious challenge to the group’s leadership.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Expands Afghan Base to Accommodate Ongoing Surge - December 17th, 2018
- Taliban Meets US Officials in United Arab Emirates - December 17th, 2018
- US Accepts Assad Staying in Syria -- But Won't Give Aid - December 17th, 2018
- Turkish FM: US Working on Extraditing Gulen - December 17th, 2018
- Erdogan: Trump Expressed Support for Turkish Attack on Syrian Kurds - December 17th, 2018