Fighting erupted in Afghanistan’s Herat Province on Thursday afternoon, when Taliban members loyal to Mullah Hibatullah Akhundzada clashed with another faction loyal to Mullah Rasool.
Fighting raged across the Shindand District, with clashes reported in several villages lasting for several hours. All told, 28 fighters were killed in the fighting between the two Taliban groups.
In addition to the Taliban fighters, a Major from the Afghan National Directorate of Security was killed in the course of operations that were trying to attack both of the Taliban factions at the same time.
While Taliban infighting is not as heavy as it once was, it does still erupt occasionally. Such fights tend to be particularly bloody, though it has been years since there has been a serious challenge to the group’s leadership.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Putin Warns US Against Putting Missiles in Europe to Target Russia - February 20th, 2019
- US Envoy 'Warns' Lebanon Over Hezbollah Cabinet Posts - February 19th, 2019
- Gen. Votel Contradicts Trump on Foreign Policy, Now Hypes Afghanistan 'Threat' - February 19th, 2019
- Ahead of New Summit, Trump Says 'No Rush' for North Korea Denuclearization - February 19th, 2019
- Germany's Ban on Arms Exports to Saudis Over Khashoggi Murder Have Growing Impact - February 19th, 2019