Saudi Foreign Minister Adel Jubeir issued a statement rejecting the CIA’s assessment of the killing of journalist Jamal Khashoggi, saying that everyone in Saudi Arabia knows that the crown prince is totally innocent of the plot.
Jubeir went on to say that everyone should assume the CIA assessment wasn’t correct because it was called an “assessment,” which he believes means it was drawn without any conclusive evidence.
The CIA cited an intercepted phone call and other evidence in having “high confidence” that the crown prince ordered the murder. President Trump also complained that the CIA acted prematurely in making such an assessment.
Trump has long made clear he doesn’t want to blame the crown prince, and praised the Saudi kingdom as a “very good” ally. And while Trump said he doesn’t know for sure that the Saudi king didn’t lie to say his son was innocent, he told him that at least five times, and that would be an awful lot of lying.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- At Least 30 Killed in Attacks Across Afghanistan - December 11th, 2018
- Iraqi Warplanes Strike Two ISIS Buildings in Eastern Syria - December 11th, 2018
- Trump Offers to Intervene in Huawei Case to Close Trade Deal - December 11th, 2018
- State Dept: Ending Yemen War 'Sends a Wrong Message' - December 11th, 2018
- Senate to Vote on Yemen War Challenge on Wednesday - December 11th, 2018