Following the UN announcement of upcoming peace talks in Sweden, Yemen’s Shi’ite Houthi movement has announced that they want a truce with the international forces attacking the country. This includes an immediate halt of all drone and missile strikes.
Mohammed Ali al-Houthi, the group’s leader, says they decided to halt the strikes amid requests from the UN to support the peace effort. The Saudi-led invaders have also said they support talks, and ordered their own ceasefire.
The UN had reported that in addition to all warring parties agreeing to the Sweden talks, there are ongoing discussions of a prisoner exchange between the two sides as a further confidence building measure.
There has been no new word on the prisoner swap, but Saudi-backed forces are launching new offensives in the northwest, which suggests their previously announced ceasefire was, at the very least, overstated.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- At Least 30 Killed in Attacks Across Afghanistan - December 11th, 2018
- Iraqi Warplanes Strike Two ISIS Buildings in Eastern Syria - December 11th, 2018
- Trump Offers to Intervene in Huawei Case to Close Trade Deal - December 11th, 2018
- State Dept: Ending Yemen War 'Sends a Wrong Message' - December 11th, 2018
- Senate to Vote on Yemen War Challenge on Wednesday - December 11th, 2018