Taliban forces launched nine separate substantial attacks in Afghanistan over the past 24 hours, killing at least 59 security forces nationwide and overrunning several bases and outposts in different parts of the country.
Attacks were reported as far north as Kunduz, and as far south as Kandahar. The biggest attack was in the far west, along the Iranian border in Farah, where Taliban overran a border post, killing 20 soldiers and capturing as many as 25.
The Taliban confirmed that the Farah base was not only seized, but that they were able to seize substantial numbers of weapons and equipment at the site as well. Only a handful of the border patrol were able to escape the attack.
Taliban forces seized posts in Ghazni, Kandahar, and in other areas. Afghan officials are unusually quiet about the fighting, and it’s not clear where the defense ministry will give priority for reinforcements.If recent events are any indication, they will only be able to reinforce a handful of the targeted areas.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- New Zealand Police Censor Mosque Attack, Threaten to Jail Citizens Who Share Video - March 18th, 2019
- Iran Denies Turkish Claims of Joint Operations Against Kurds - March 18th, 2019
- Trump Proposes $86 Billion Spy Budget - March 18th, 2019
- South Korea DM: No Sign of Impending North Korea Missile Launch - March 18th, 2019
- Afghan Troops Frequently Robbed US-Funded Support Staff - March 18th, 2019