The Trump Administration pushes for a ceasefire in Yemen are being willfully ignored by the Saudis, who have no only considered their war, but have escalated hostilities dramatically in the past several days.
Fighting has raged across Yemen, as Saudi airstrikes and naval artillery pick up the pace, and heavy battles are reported in several places. At least 150 fighters were reported killed on both sides, though each side is claiming the win, and to have inflicted more damage on the other.
Either way, the demand for an immediate ceasefire, and a full end to Saudi airstrikes against populated areas never happened. Saudi forces were building up around Hodeidah before the demand, and continued with no reaction.
Indeed, the Saudis never even publicly acknowledged that the US called for a ceasefire. Saudi-backed Yemenis praised the call for peace, though they similarly showed no sign of stopping their fighting.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- ISIS Kills Over 60 Syrian Troops in 48 Hours of Attacks - April 20th, 2019
- US Intel Doubts North Korea Weapons Test Was Successful - April 19th, 2019
- Ecuador Judge Orders Detention of Former Foreign Minister Connected to Assange - April 19th, 2019
- US Reveals Support for Former CIA Asset Hafter in Libya - April 19th, 2019
- Pompeo Dismisses North Korea Demands, Says He Can't Be Removed From Talks - April 19th, 2019