The Trump Administration pushes for a ceasefire in Yemen are being willfully ignored by the Saudis, who have no only considered their war, but have escalated hostilities dramatically in the past several days.
Fighting has raged across Yemen, as Saudi airstrikes and naval artillery pick up the pace, and heavy battles are reported in several places. At least 150 fighters were reported killed on both sides, though each side is claiming the win, and to have inflicted more damage on the other.
Either way, the demand for an immediate ceasefire, and a full end to Saudi airstrikes against populated areas never happened. Saudi forces were building up around Hodeidah before the demand, and continued with no reaction.
Indeed, the Saudis never even publicly acknowledged that the US called for a ceasefire. Saudi-backed Yemenis praised the call for peace, though they similarly showed no sign of stopping their fighting.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Al-Qaeda Fighters Kill 22 Syrian Troops Near Idlib - November 16th, 2018
- US Opposes UNGA Resolution Calling on Israel to Return Golan Heights - November 16th, 2018
- US to Accuse Iran of Capacity to Violate Chemical Weapons Ban - November 16th, 2018
- Israel Coalition Falters as Netanyahu Takes Top Positions - November 16th, 2018
- Report: CIA Concludes Saudi Crown Prince Ordered Khashoggi's Murder - November 16th, 2018