The Trump Administration pushes for a ceasefire in Yemen are being willfully ignored by the Saudis, who have no only considered their war, but have escalated hostilities dramatically in the past several days.
Fighting has raged across Yemen, as Saudi airstrikes and naval artillery pick up the pace, and heavy battles are reported in several places. At least 150 fighters were reported killed on both sides, though each side is claiming the win, and to have inflicted more damage on the other.
Either way, the demand for an immediate ceasefire, and a full end to Saudi airstrikes against populated areas never happened. Saudi forces were building up around Hodeidah before the demand, and continued with no reaction.
Indeed, the Saudis never even publicly acknowledged that the US called for a ceasefire. Saudi-backed Yemenis praised the call for peace, though they similarly showed no sign of stopping their fighting.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Erdodan Tells Trump: Turkey Ready to Take Over Syria's Manbij - January 20th, 2019
- White House: Israeli TV Report on Peace Plan Not Accurate - January 18th, 2019
- Second Trump-Kim Summit Will Be Held in Late February - January 18th, 2019
- US Bombs, Destroys a Mosque in Syria's Safafiyah - January 18th, 2019
- Iraqi Shi'ite Militia Shells ISIS Forces in Eastern Syria - January 18th, 2019