President Trump told reporters Monday that he has talked with Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman about the death of Jamal Khashoggi and is “not satisfied with what I’ve heard.” He added that the Saudis need to be more forthcoming.
Trump further said he had rejected a request from Saudi Arabia to give them another month to complete the investigation, saying he believes “there’s no reason” for that much time to be taken.
Trump has long insisted he doesn’t want to do anything to Saudi Arabia to threaten US arms sales, or the “million jobs” he claims they will provide. Previously, he had said this was contingent on the royal family not being involved in the killing, which seems less and less likely.
Trump still seems unwilling to pin the death directly on the crown prince, however, and is just calling it a “plot gone awry.” He added that he doubts the official Saudi statement that Khashoggi got in a surprise fist-fight with the 15-man kill team and suddenly died.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Pence: North Korea Has Not Taken 'Concrete Steps' to Dismantle Nuclear Program - January 16th, 2019
- House Poised to Advance Bipartisan Bill to End Support for Saudi War in Yemen - January 16th, 2019
- American Anchor for Iran's PressTV Arrested During US Visit - January 16th, 2019
- Report: US Peace Plan Would Give Palestinians Most of West Bank - January 16th, 2019
- Al-Shabaab: Kenya Attack Revenge for Trump's Jerusalem Policy - January 16th, 2019