Taliban offensives against targets across Afghanistan continue to grow, with the latest fighting in Kunduz Province, along Afghanistan’s northern border. Here, Taliban forces attacked a checkpoint manned by border police.
The attack, in Qala-e Zal District, has killed at least 15 members of the border police, and wounded another 13. One Kunduz MP confirmed the toll.There is as yet no word on Taliban casualties in the fighting.
Taliban pushes against checkpoints in recent months have gone extremely poorly for the Afghan government, as security forces have tended to struggle mightily if they don’t have reinforcements successfully called in.
Further to the southeast, in Ghazni and Paktika Province, IED explosions have caused substantial civilian casualties. Exact figures have not been made public yet, but officials say that nine children were among the casualties, at least one of them killed.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Taliban Kills Dozens of Afghan Forces in Attacks on Checkpoints - October 14th, 2018
- Bombing Kills 22 at Afghanistan Election Rally - October 14th, 2018
- Israel to Expand Settlement in Hebron, First Time in 16 Years - October 14th, 2018
- Syria's Al-Qaeda Will Accept Idlib Deal - October 14th, 2018
- South Korea President: North Korea Leader Sincere, Should Be Rewarded - October 14th, 2018