Ukraine announced the beginning of the Clear Sky 2018 operation in the west of Ukraine. The operation centers on warplanes focusing on coordinated air defense, with Ukraine presenting it as preparation to “protect the airspace” from Russia.
The US and several other NATO nations are participating in this operation,which is to last until October 19. Ukraine emphasized the idea of coordination with Poland and Romania, two nations that they border.
Ukraine has been keen to push the idea that Russia is an imminent military threat to them, to the point where for the past several years, top Ukrainian officials have suggested World War 3 will start over Ukrainian territory.
US planes involved in the operation include the F-15C Eagle and the C-130J military transport, along with unspecified combat drones, which are being sent to train. 700 NATO troops are to participate as well.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Taliban Kills Dozens of Afghan Forces in Attacks on Checkpoints - October 14th, 2018
- Bombing Kills 22 at Afghanistan Election Rally - October 14th, 2018
- Israel to Expand Settlement in Hebron, First Time in 16 Years - October 14th, 2018
- Syria's Al-Qaeda Will Accept Idlib Deal - October 14th, 2018
- South Korea President: North Korea Leader Sincere, Should Be Rewarded - October 14th, 2018