Speaking at a conference of the ruling AK Party in Ankara, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan vowed revenge against the Kurdish PKK after a Wednesday attack that killed eight Turkish soldiers in southeastern Turkey.
Erdogan vowed to avenge the troops by “finishing” Kurdish forces in northern Iraq, saying Turkish forces will “go into their dens” in Sinjar and Qandil, Kurdish areas of Iraq where PKK-aligned fighters are accused of being.
Erdogan said that not only would he ensure that the fighters there would be finished, he promised that to make up for eight slain Turkish soldiers, at least 800 PKK militants in Iraq would be killed. It’s not clear how many PKK are even in Iraq after years of strikes.
Erdogan has been threatening to go into Iraq after the PKK for awhile, and suggested this may be coming soon with today’s comments. Iraq has repeatedly warned Turkey against incursions into their territory.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- ISIS Kills Over 60 Syrian Troops in 48 Hours of Attacks - April 20th, 2019
- US Intel Doubts North Korea Weapons Test Was Successful - April 19th, 2019
- Ecuador Judge Orders Detention of Former Foreign Minister Connected to Assange - April 19th, 2019
- US Reveals Support for Former CIA Asset Hafter in Libya - April 19th, 2019
- Pompeo Dismisses North Korea Demands, Says He Can't Be Removed From Talks - April 19th, 2019