Chinese officials expressed outrage on Friday after it was announced that the US was imposing economic sanctions on a Chinese military agency and its direct for buying Russian fighter jets and air defense systems.
The US claims the Chinese Equipment Development Department was violating US sanctions by buying from the Russians, and that the new sanctions on the Chinese agency are “aimed at imposing costs on Russia.”
Chinese officials say this is an unreasonable move, and are demanding that the US immediately correct its mistake, warning that there will be consequences if they don’t reverse the sanctions. The State Department notes that the Chinese made “significant” purchases of Russian equipment.
Russian officials say they believe the US is using the sanctions primarily to try to squeeze out major competitors on the international arms market. Russia in particular has made a lot of successful sales in air defenses in recent years.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Backs India's Right to Defend Itself After Kashmir Attacks - February 17th, 2019
- In Iraq Visit, Top US General Talks Long-Term ISIS 'Threat' - February 17th, 2019
- Commander: US Can't Back Syrian Forces Aligned With Assad - February 17th, 2019
- US Envoy Says Withdrawal From Syria 'Will Be Gradual' - February 17th, 2019
- US General: Army Still Supporting Saudis in Yemen - February 17th, 2019