Chinese officials expressed outrage on Friday after it was announced that the US was imposing economic sanctions on a Chinese military agency and its direct for buying Russian fighter jets and air defense systems.
The US claims the Chinese Equipment Development Department was violating US sanctions by buying from the Russians, and that the new sanctions on the Chinese agency are “aimed at imposing costs on Russia.”
Chinese officials say this is an unreasonable move, and are demanding that the US immediately correct its mistake, warning that there will be consequences if they don’t reverse the sanctions. The State Department notes that the Chinese made “significant” purchases of Russian equipment.
Russian officials say they believe the US is using the sanctions primarily to try to squeeze out major competitors on the international arms market. Russia in particular has made a lot of successful sales in air defenses in recent years.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Pakistan PM Tells US: We're Not Your 'Hired Gun' Anymore - December 7th, 2018
- US Backs Kosovo's Plan to Create a New Army - December 7th, 2018
- Gen. Dunford: US Must Stay in Afghanistan or Get Another 9/11 - December 7th, 2018
- US, Britain Say Recent Syria Chemical Attack 'Fabricated' - December 7th, 2018
- US-Led Coalition Airstrikes Kill Nine Civilians in Eastern Syria - December 7th, 2018