Reports from Ethiopian state media say that an airstrike against vehicles they believe to have belonged to al-Shabaab killed 70 militants inside Somalia. Details are scant, and officials don’t say where the attack took place.
The port quoted Brig. Gen. Yilma Medrassa from the Ethiopian Air Force as saying they achieved 100% of their plans with the strikes. The report says two vehicles full of weapons wee destroyed, and that everyone killed was with al-Shabaab.
Furthermore, the report claimed that the targeted militants were going to attack Ethiopian troops within the African Union force inside Somalia. This likely is just being mentioned as a legal pretext for the airstrike, as the US similarly makes such claims when there are airstrikes in Somalia.
Ethiopia has repeatedly invaded Somalia since 2006, mostly intending to prop up some wound-be government in Somalia, and sometimes to wipe out various Islamist groups that were either predecessors to al-Shabaab, or al-Shabaab themselves.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Two Koreas Meet Again With UN on Border Disarmament - October 21st, 2018
- US Denies Killing Syrian Civilians, Says Mosque Was 'Valid Military Target' - October 21st, 2018
- Security Woes, Irregularities Mar Afghanistan's Second Day of Voting - October 21st, 2018
- US General Wounded During Thursday Insider Attack in Afghanistan - October 21st, 2018
- Saudi FM: We Don't Know How Khashoggi Was Killed - October 21st, 2018