Reports from Ethiopian state media say that an airstrike against vehicles they believe to have belonged to al-Shabaab killed 70 militants inside Somalia. Details are scant, and officials don’t say where the attack took place.
The port quoted Brig. Gen. Yilma Medrassa from the Ethiopian Air Force as saying they achieved 100% of their plans with the strikes. The report says two vehicles full of weapons wee destroyed, and that everyone killed was with al-Shabaab.
Furthermore, the report claimed that the targeted militants were going to attack Ethiopian troops within the African Union force inside Somalia. This likely is just being mentioned as a legal pretext for the airstrike, as the US similarly makes such claims when there are airstrikes in Somalia.
Ethiopia has repeatedly invaded Somalia since 2006, mostly intending to prop up some wound-be government in Somalia, and sometimes to wipe out various Islamist groups that were either predecessors to al-Shabaab, or al-Shabaab themselves.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syrian Kurds Warn Turkey's Threats Are a 'Declaration of War' - December 14th, 2018
- US-Backed Kurdish Forces Seize ISIS Town in Eastern Syria - December 14th, 2018
- Pompeo Downplays White House Differences With Senate on Saudi Arabia - December 14th, 2018
- US, South Korea Fail to Agree on Cost-Sharing for Military Deployment - December 14th, 2018
- Yemen Clashes Threaten Ceasefire in Hodeidah - December 14th, 2018