Reports from Ethiopian state media say that an airstrike against vehicles they believe to have belonged to al-Shabaab killed 70 militants inside Somalia. Details are scant, and officials don’t say where the attack took place.
The port quoted Brig. Gen. Yilma Medrassa from the Ethiopian Air Force as saying they achieved 100% of their plans with the strikes. The report says two vehicles full of weapons wee destroyed, and that everyone killed was with al-Shabaab.
Furthermore, the report claimed that the targeted militants were going to attack Ethiopian troops within the African Union force inside Somalia. This likely is just being mentioned as a legal pretext for the airstrike, as the US similarly makes such claims when there are airstrikes in Somalia.
Ethiopia has repeatedly invaded Somalia since 2006, mostly intending to prop up some wound-be government in Somalia, and sometimes to wipe out various Islamist groups that were either predecessors to al-Shabaab, or al-Shabaab themselves.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Envoy Elliott Abrams Heads to Colombia to Oversee Aid Delegation - February 22nd, 2019
- Officials Say Hundreds of ISIS Fled Syria Into Iraq in Past Six Months - February 22nd, 2019
- Abe Says Japan Will Ignore Okinawan Referendum on US Base - February 22nd, 2019
- Civilian Convoy Leaves Last ISIS Territory in Eastern Syria - February 22nd, 2019
- UN Watchdog Again Confirms Iran in Compliance With P5+1 Nuclear Deal - February 22nd, 2019