On September 26, the UN Security Council will hold a meeting on Iran. President Trump has been confirmed to personally chair the meeting, as the US holds the council presidency for the current month.
US officials say Trump will focus on allegations of Iran violating international law and fueling “general instability” in the Middle East. It is not clear if there will be any resolutions proposed during this meeting.
This will be a high-profile public event for President Trump, coming the same week as the UN General Assembly. It’s likely to be a tense meeting as well, since all the other P5+1 nations remain in the Iran nuclear deal, despite Trump’s withdrawal.
Iranian President Hassan Rouhani will be in New York during the meeting for the General Assembly. Though it’s not clear what his plans are for the Security Council meeting, officials say the US would not object if Rouhani wants to speak.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syrian Kurds Won't Release ISIS Detainees, Can't Promise They Won't Escape - February 18th, 2019
- Syrian Kurdish Commander Wants US to Halt Pullout, Keep 1,500 Troops in Syria - February 18th, 2019
- Venezuela, Richard Branson Plan Dueling Concerts Along Colombian Border - February 18th, 2019
- Trump: Venezuelan Military Members Must Abandon Maduro or 'Lose Everything' - February 18th, 2019
- US Backs India's Right to Defend Itself After Kashmir Attacks - February 17th, 2019