In a new tweet on Monday, President Trump warned Syria against attacking the rebels in Idlib Province. He also warned Iran and Russia against participating in any such attack if it happens.
“The Russians and Iranians would be making a grave humanitarian mistake to take part in this potential human tragedy,” Trump insisted, saying that “hundreds of thousands of people could be killed.”
Though Syria hasn’t confirmed any specifics, it is believed they are preparing to attempt to expel the rebels from Idlib, including the al-Qaeda dominated faction which UN officials say has 10,000 designed terrorist fighters within.
Others estimate that overall, some 70,000 fighters are within, and the densely populated area could indeed lead to large civilian death tolls in the fighting. The US opposition is particularly noteworthy, however, because recent offensives against other densely populated cities and provinces, like Deir Ezzor and Mosul, saw not only US endorsements but direct US participation.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Erdodan Tells Trump: Turkey Ready to Take Over Syria's Manbij - January 20th, 2019
- White House: Israeli TV Report on Peace Plan Not Accurate - January 18th, 2019
- Second Trump-Kim Summit Will Be Held in Late February - January 18th, 2019
- US Bombs, Destroys a Mosque in Syria's Safafiyah - January 18th, 2019
- Iraqi Shi'ite Militia Shells ISIS Forces in Eastern Syria - January 18th, 2019