Officials familiar with the situation say that the US is eager to increase its arms supplies to Ukraine, expanding on the first supply of lethal arms back in April. This is intended to be done to support further moves against the eastern rebels.
Congress has been generally supportive of escalating the lethal aid. This is because Ukraine has been hyping the military aid received as eventually about fighting Russia, and that seems to be able to secure endless Congressional funding for most anything military-related.
Worryingly, the new round of aid is expected to include not just anti-tank missiles and other relatively short range arms, but things like anti-aircraft weapons and naval weaponry. Ukraine, and US military analysts, are arguing this would be more impactful.
Which is true, but also is potentially dangerous, as Ukraine’s government has made no bones about envisioning their nation being the start of World War 3 against Russia, and the US providing arms that are liable to be used against Russian military targets would be risky indeed.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Seeks to Negotiate a Broad Treaty With Iran - September 19th, 2018
- Despite Pledge Not to, Germany Approves Sale of Arms to Saudi Arabia - September 19th, 2018
- State Dept: ISIS, al-Qaeda Adapting After Recent Losses - September 19th, 2018
- Thousands Return Home in Northwest Syria After Deal Prevents Offensive - September 19th, 2018
- North, South Korea to Form Joint Military Committee - September 19th, 2018