While it comes nearly three months too late to have any bearing on CIA Director Gina Haspel’s confirmation vote, a series of newly declassified cables are offering unprecedented insight into the specifics of torture carried out at the CIA black site Haspel was running.
The documents are available at the National Security Archive. They are heavily redacted, but it is speculated that they may have even been written by Haspel herself, and described the extended use of violence against detainees.
The documents involve a lot of flowery language, praising the “catlike” way interrogators entered the room before torturing suspects, and promising to make one of them suffer “in ways he never thought possible.”
Specifics of the CIA torture program have largely been withheld from the public, despite supposedly having ended years ago. Haspel’s role in that torture made her confirmation as CIA Director particularly controv4ersial, especially since President Trump has publicly espoused the merits of torture on several occasions.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Saudi State TV Confirms Journalist Jamal Khashoggi Was Killed - October 19th, 2018
- Yemeni Forces Stop Houthis Attempt to Reopen Hodeidah Supply Route - October 18th, 2018
- Trump Threatens to Send Military to Close Border With Mexico - October 18th, 2018
- US Opposes Koreas' New No-Fly Zone Plans - October 18th, 2018
- Trump Administration Bans US Aid Groups From North Korea - October 18th, 2018