According to the Nangarhar provincial governor’s office, Afghan military forces carrying out operations in the province’s Khogyani District. This involved airstrikes that caused a number of civilian casualties.
Six civilians were reported killed and four wounded. The attacks also damaged a mosque, and 21 vehicles parked in the area. The Afghan military didn’t confirm or deny this, saying it is under investigation.
This incident, by all indications, is part of a protracted Afghan military operation, in and around Nangarhar Province, which has been ongoing for weeks. These operations are focused on ISIS forces in the area, which Afghans claim to have done major damage to.
There have been several offensives against the ISIS affiliate in Afghanistan, which is centered on Nangarhar. Afghan officials have claimed ISIS to have been totally wiped out multiple times, only for them to reemerge within weeks after the offensive ends.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Russia Will Provide S-300s to Syria to Defend Entire Airspace - September 25th, 2018
- Pompeo Slams EU Plan to Circumvent US Sanctions on Iran - September 25th, 2018
- US General: Removing Troops From Korea a Major Tactical Risk - September 25th, 2018
- South Korean President: Kim Is Serious About Giving Up Nuclear Bombs - September 25th, 2018
- US Adjusting Tactics as Afghanistan Casualties Rise - September 25th, 2018