Media reports are quoting unnamed Israeli officials as saying that a few months ago, the US and Israel formed a joint working group centered on plotting against Iran. The focus of the group is fueling internal unrest against Iran.
While US officials are unwilling to comment on the matter, the Israelis say the plot isn’t explicitly centered on trying to impose regime change. This is noteworthy, as both US and Israeli officials have been agitating for regime change for awhile.
Instead, it appears that the focus has been on sparking public protests against Iran’s Rouhani government., This puts the public protests going on inside Iran in a whole different light, and the revelation will likely hurt the protesters’ credibility.
It also doubtless weakens the US attempts to use the protests to try to sell the international community on supporting new US sanctions against Iran. This report will convince many that the protests are just dirty tricks from the US and Israel.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syrian Rebels Began Evacuating Golan for North - July 20th, 2018
- Syrian, Russian Warplanes Kill 26 Civilians in Strikes on Southern ISIS Towns - July 20th, 2018
- US Urges Strict UN Sanctions on North Korea Until Denuclearization Finished - July 20th, 2018
- Merkel: Europe Can't Rely on US to Impose World Order - July 20th, 2018
- Israel, Hamas Reach Another Ceasefire After Five Killed in Friday Clashes - July 20th, 2018