With Israeli Defense Minister Avigdor Lieberman to visit Russia, there are reports that the two nations have reached a secret deal regarding to presence of Syrian troops in southern Syria, including in the part of the Golan Heights still under Syrian control.
Under this deal, reported on Hadashot TV news, Israel would accept the return of Syrian troops to the Golan area. Russia agrees they will ensure no Iranian or Hezbollah forces will be allowed into southern Syria.
As an aside, Russia is supposed to be planning a statement calling on “all foreign troops” to leave Syria, which includes not just Iranians, but also US and Turkish forces. This is intended to give Israel the ability to claim that Russia agrees on the need for Iranians to leave Syria.
At present Russia is just saying Iranian forces should stay away from the Israeli and Jordanian borders. Israel followed up with their own statement demanding Iran be denied any presence anywhere inside Syria.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Russia to Send Warplanes to Crimea, Citing Ukraine 'Provocation' - December 18th, 2018
- Trump Urges Kosovo to Reach 'Historic' Deal With Serbia - December 18th, 2018
- Russia Cuts Military Flights Over Syria by 99% - December 18th, 2018
- US-Taliban Talks Focused on Proposal of Six-Month Ceasefire - December 18th, 2018
- Afghan Airstrikes Kill 55 'Militants' in 24 Hours - December 18th, 2018